Sudoku Mahabharat - 2020

Sudoku Mahabharat - 2020

Postby rakesh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:59 am

LMI invites you to participate in Sudoku Mahabharat 2020 - a series of six online sudoku contests.

The first contest takes place during 10-14 January 2020: http://logicmastersindia.com/SM/202001/

Complete details of SM 2020 are available at http://logicmastersindia.com/SM/2020sm.asp
rakesh

Re: Sudoku Mahabharat - 2020

Postby Detuned » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi rakesh,

As a point of curiosity, can I ask what (if any) attention have the organisers paid to the "what is a sudoku?" report as it currently stands? I'd like to get an idea of whether it has any influence on the sudoku community.
Detuned

Postby rakesh » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:33 pm

I and the SM authors have gone through the report. At the outset, let me thank you for the effort involved in writing this report - it has come out well and may ultimately lead to a WPF-mandated guideline or rule. I also understand that the report is yet to be finalized and WPF has not yet enforced this. Also, I am confused to some extent on what the report intends to suggest for WPF approved competitions. I am reproducing two points below (in blue) which lead to this confusion (These points are taken verbatim from the draft report):

However, in the process of answering this question and writing this report, I have considered a second question: “What puzzles are suitable for a sudoku competition?” A definitive answer to this question is beyond the scope of this report.

Recommendation 2: The WPF and its constituent member organisations should enforce the definitions and principles as outlined above in all future sudoku competitions they are responsible for. In doing so the WPF must formally acknowledge itself as a governing body and set out roles and responsibilities to make this happen.

Coming to your question: For Sudoku Mahabharat, we are trying to ensure that the sudoku types do represent types which encourage "sudoku solving" as far as possible. And, yes, we are referring to the "What is a Sudoku" report as needed. At the same time, we do encourage authors to do some innovative work. Innovations may succeed; Innovations may fail; but if there are no attempts at innovation, we would never know what could have been. So, largely the competition will have Sudoku classics (8 in every set), and a mix of sudoku variants and sudoku hybrids. As of now, we have not set a number for the distribution of sudoku variants and sudoku hybrids. Also, we would welcome your inputs and concerns on the types chosen, as the SM progresses, episode by episode. LMI is open to constructive criticism and suggestions.

In my personal opinion and with my limited awareness, I think, at this time, the report has some influence on the sudoku community, but not significant. Once the report is finalized, we will come to know better.
rakesh

Postby Detuned » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi rakesh, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate things are not quite finished but it is nice to know that the some of the ideas and concepts are beginning to catch on.

To clear up the confusion you have:

The intention of the first quoted extract is to say that whilst sudoku competitions shouldn't have anything that clearly is not sudoku, for various variants or puzzle hybrids featuring sudoku there is a balance to be struck by organisers and administrators.

The intention of the second quoted recommendation is to say that the principles and definitions need to be adopted to be able to do the former, however it does not say anything about striking the balance in the latter. That would be a matter for the WPF.

I shall try and make that clearer in the final version.
Detuned

Return to Public section