WPC 2012. instruction booklet

Re: WPC 2012. instruction booklet

Postby Goran Vodopija » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Alberto and Bram, thank you for your comments.
We have discussed about all the general rules, conception of puzzle parts and bonuses and especially about the playoffs, in detail in the last few days.
I can tell you that some additions to the general rules have been made. They will be printed and handed to you with the instruction booklets upon your arrival in Kraljevica, and also uploaded to WSC/WPC official web site.
Everything that's left unclear can and will be discussed on questioning time tomorrow evening.
See you all soon in Croatia. :)
Goran Vodopija

Postby euklid » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Finally my questions also on WPC. I have checked the other posts and I hope to ask only questions that are new to you. :-)

Part 1: Is it sufficient to draw the borders of the dominoes or do we have to add the missing digits also?

Part 2, Puzzle 5 (Loop splitter): Is it allowed for the loop to go straight through an empty cell (a cell with neither a white or black circle)?
Part 2, Puzzle 14 (Blackjack turtle): In the last sentence of the rules "No card ... can be repeated" the term "card" means the "card types": "A", "K", ..., "3", "2". Correct?
Part 2, Puzzle 18 (New Age): A "phrase" can contain several words, but it will be easy to determine where a phrase ends and the next begins. Each phrase will be given in a separate line?
Part 2, Puzzle 20 (Black 21): In the rules it is stated that for EACH row and EACH column we will get the two clues. Is that correct (it isn't in the example)?

Part 3, Puzzle 11 (High wind): Is it correct that a clue (say a 3) that is wrong can never become a zero? I.e., it is not allowed that is not a single line departing from the 3.

Part 4, Puzzle 1 (Easy as ABC crossword): This was asked but is still not clear to me. Is it possible that in the rightmost column the first two cells are empty? I.e. the given clue "C" is seen only behind a black square?

Part 5, Puzzle 3 (Paint by numbers): Just to make sure: The clues on the left and below the puzzle are sorted from left to right and top to bottom?
Part 5, Puzzle 11 (Lighthouses): You answered earlier that there might be ships that are not seen by a lighthouse. I am confused how you meant the term "see a boat" in your answer. Obviously each boat must have a lighthouse in its row and/or column. Otherwise the puzzle would not be unique (you could delete this ship). I assume that in your answer "seeing a boat from a lighthouse" meant seeing it without another ship/lighthouse inbetween.

Part 6 (Marina): Is the number of ships limited that we are allowed to place?

Part 8, Puzzle 1 (Pipeline): Is it enough if we draw only the pipe that goes from upper left to lower right and leave out all the other pipes (dead ends) and black cells?
Part 8, Puzzle 4 (Poker): Just to make sure: "AAKKJ" or ""AAAKJ" is NOT "one pair", "910JQK" in one suit is NOT a "flush" (since it is a straight flush), "10JQKA" in one suit is NOT a "straight flush" (since it is a royal flush).
Part 8, Puzzle 12 (Numbers&Letters): Is it correct to assume that the language of the numbers will not be english?

Part 9, Puzzle 3 (New York): Just curious: Since there are 35 numbers to fill in from 1-7, is every digit from 1-7 missing exactly one time?

Part 10, Puzzle 6 (WPC champions): Will there be a list of names and surnames given? The first names and corresponding surnames are treated independently? Is it allowed to have more than one name in a single row/column? Does every letter in the grid belong to EXACTLY ONE name or to AT MOST one name?
Part 10, Puzzle 8 (Jumping crossword): Are all the word (with at least 2 cells - including empty cells) given or might there be some of them missing in the given list?
Part 10, Puzzle 13 (H2O): Are all the "H"s given? Can there be some "O"s given? I assume that all the connections of H-O-H have to be drawn to get full credit.
Part 10, Puzzle 14 (Cave): Is it necessary to draw the loop or is it enough to clearly mark what is inside and outside of the loop?

Part 11, Puzzle 1 (Domino Arrows): In the example each arrow points at exactly two dominos. In the competition puzzle it will be exactly three. Correct?
Part 11, Puzzle 2 (Neighbour Cards): This is not clear to me. Does "KA(Hearts)(Clubs)" mean that in the corresponding row/column there will be a "K" neighboring to a "A" (in any order) and a "(Hearts)" neighboring a "(Clubs)" (in any order)? And is it necessary also that an "A" is neighboring a "(Hearts)" also, since they are neighboring each other in the given clue "KA(Hearts)(Clubs)"?
Is there any difference if the clues are to the right/left of the puzzle? Same question for clues above/below the puzzle.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
euklid

Postby Goran Vodopija » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 pm

euklid wrote:Finally my questions also on WPC. I have checked the other posts and I hope to ask only questions that are new to you. :-)

Part 1: Is it sufficient to draw the borders of the dominoes or do we have to add the missing digits also?

You have to add the missing digits also.

Part 2, Puzzle 5 (Loop splitter): Is it allowed for the loop to go straight through an empty cell (a cell with neither a white or black circle)?

The loop can go through an empty cell without a circle (which is unfortunately not shown clearly in the example), but it cannot turn in it.
The loop has to turn in every white circle and it has to go straight through every black circle.

Part 2, Puzzle 14 (Blackjack turtle): In the last sentence of the rules "No card ... can be repeated" the term "card" means the "card types": "A", "K", ..., "3", "2". Correct?

Correct.

Part 2, Puzzle 18 (New Age): A "phrase" can contain several words, but it will be easy to determine where a phrase ends and the next begins. Each phrase will be given in a separate line?

Yes, each phrase will be given in a separate line.

Part 2, Puzzle 20 (Black 21): In the rules it is stated that for EACH row and EACH column we will get the two clues. Is that correct (it isn't in the example)?

That is correct.

Part 3, Puzzle 11 (High wind): Is it correct that a clue (say a 3) that is wrong can never become a zero? I.e., it is not allowed that is not a single line departing from the 3.

That is not allowed, a given number cannot become a zero.

Part 4, Puzzle 1 (Easy as ABC crossword): This was asked but is still not clear to me. Is it possible that in the rightmost column the first two cells are empty? I.e. the given clue "C" is seen only behind a black square?

It is possible that a two-cell sequence has both cells empty (not in the example, though, because the second row has to contain a letter in the rightmost column).
There is never a case in the actual puzzles that a clue can be seen through a black cell.

Part 5, Puzzle 3 (Paint by numbers): Just to make sure: The clues on the left and below the puzzle are sorted from left to right and top to bottom?

Yes, they are given in the order they appear.

Part 5, Puzzle 11 (Lighthouses): You answered earlier that there might be ships that are not seen by a lighthouse. I am confused how you meant the term "see a boat" in your answer. Obviously each boat must have a lighthouse in its row and/or column. Otherwise the puzzle would not be unique (you could delete this ship). I assume that in your answer "seeing a boat from a lighthouse" meant seeing it without another ship/lighthouse inbetween.

I'm sorry, that was a wrong answer given (and you proved it). :oops:
Every ship has to be seen by a lighthouse.

Part 6 (Marina): Is the number of ships limited that we are allowed to place?

Yes, each team will be given the same quantity of boats.

Part 8, Puzzle 1 (Pipeline): Is it enough if we draw only the pipe that goes from upper left to lower right and leave out all the other pipes (dead ends) and black cells?

No, it is not enough.
But if you could do that, I'd like to see you solve a pipeline puzzle like that, I'd be amazed. :D

Part 8, Puzzle 4 (Poker): Just to make sure: "AAKKJ" or ""AAAKJ" is NOT "one pair", "910JQK" in one suit is NOT a "flush" (since it is a straight flush), "10JQKA" in one suit is NOT a "straight flush" (since it is a royal flush).

That is all correct.

Part 8, Puzzle 12 (Numbers&Letters): Is it correct to assume that the language of the numbers will not be english?

No, it may be English. ;)

Part 9, Puzzle 3 (New York): Just curious: Since there are 35 numbers to fill in from 1-7, is every digit from 1-7 missing exactly one time?

Would you like me to say: yes, you guessed it right? ;)
I don't know, it's possible.

Part 10, Puzzle 6 (WPC champions): Will there be a list of names and surnames given? The first names and corresponding surnames are treated independently? Is it allowed to have more than one name in a single row/column? Does every letter in the grid belong to EXACTLY ONE name or to AT MOST one name?

The list of names and surnames will be given next to the puzzle.
The first names and surnames are treated independently.
It is not allowed to have more than one name in a row/column.
Every letter in the grid is used by a name/surname.

Part 10, Puzzle 8 (Jumping crossword): Are all the word (with at least 2 cells - including empty cells) given or might there be some of them missing in the given list?

All words that have to be filled in (except one-cell words) are given.

Part 10, Puzzle 13 (H2O): Are all the "H"s given? Can there be some "O"s given? I assume that all the connections of H-O-H have to be drawn to get full credit.

All the ''H''s are given. There are no ''O''s given.
Draw all the connections to get the full credit.

Part 10, Puzzle 14 (Cave): Is it necessary to draw the loop or is it enough to clearly mark what is inside and outside of the loop?

It is necessary to draw the loop.

Part 11, Puzzle 1 (Domino Arrows): In the example each arrow points at exactly two dominos. In the competition puzzle it will be exactly three. Correct?

Correct.

Part 11, Puzzle 2 (Neighbour Cards): This is not clear to me. Does "KA(Hearts)(Clubs)" mean that in the corresponding row/column there will be a "K" neighboring to a "A" (in any order) and a "(Hearts)" neighboring a "(Clubs)" (in any order)?

That is all correct.
And is it necessary also that an "A" is neighboring a "(Hearts)" also, since they are neighboring each other in the given clue "KA(Hearts)(Clubs)"?

No, cards (10, J, Q, K, A) and their suits are not related in the information outside the grid.
Is there any difference if the clues are to the right/left of the puzzle? Same question for clues above/below the puzzle.

There is no difference.
Goran Vodopija

Previous

Return to Public section