WSC 2012. instruction booklet

Re: WSC 2012. instruction booklet

Postby Goran Vodopija » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks again, Bastien.

WSC part 5, puzzle 3
The rules for FABIAN'S XV are:
Place a digit from 1 to 9 into every empty cell in the grid so that each digit appears exactly once in every row, column and 3x3 box. Signs X and V on some grid lines indicate all pairs of horizontally and vertically neighbouring numbers in the grid which sum up to 10 (indicated by X) and 5 (indicated by V).
It will be corrected in the booklet.
(it appears he's not so bashful when it comes to distracting Fabian)

WSC part 5, puzzles 6 & 7
If the rules say digits can be repeated, it doesn't mean they have to be repeated somewhere in the grid...
But I see your doubts, that rule changes a lot in solving the puzzle.
The rule is the same for both puzzles: digits can be repeated in a cage.

WSC part 5, puzzle 9
The rules for Amadeus's little killer are correct, the main diagonals (as well as any other diagonal) can have repeated digits.
Goran Vodopija

Postby Matus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:28 pm

May we know the amount of sudokus in each set (for now - parts 1, 2 and 4)?

Thanks
Matus
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Postby Zrile13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Matus wrote:May we know the amount of sudokus in each set (for now - parts 1, 2 and 4)?

Thanks
Matus

Yes you may

Part 1 - 8
Part 2 - 30
Part 4 - 15

Zrinka
Zrile13

Postby sf2l » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Trying to defend the smurfs and the dwarfs...
a question common for part 2 and part 3

Will all individual diagrams have a unique solution - or - each diagram may have multiple solutions but when considered as part of the larger system (e.g. the pair of sudokus having the two-digit number in common) the solution will be unique?

Also: Will the position of the dwarfs around the snow white large diagram have any meanings (e.g. indicating in which row or column a certain digit will be) ? in the example it does not seems so.
stefano
sf2l

Postby Goran Vodopija » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi Stefano and thanks for the questions.

Will all individual diagrams have a unique solution - or - each diagram may have multiple solutions but when considered as part of the larger system (e.g. the pair of sudokus having the two-digit number in common) the solution will be unique?

In both parts 2 and 3, some of the puzzles will have multiple solutions, but only one solution will be accepted as correct and that is the one which is consistent with the complete solution of the whole set or the group of linked puzzles.

With this question you accidentally pointed out another mistake in the booklet... :)
You may have noticed there are three sudokus in the example for part 2, although in the instructions it is said that there are pairs of sudokus.
Well, that is because the sudokus in this part are grouped in triplets.
Sorry for this mistake, it will be corrected in the next update of IB, which will be uploaded tomorrow evening.
So, part 2 - three sudokus connected with the same two-digit number, having the same picture of a Smurf next to the grid.
The correct part is that there will be two puzzles on one page of puzzle booklet and the third connected sudoku will be on the next page. So a bit of scrolling for you to do in this part also. :)

Also: Will the position of the dwarfs around the snow white large diagram have any meanings (e.g. indicating in which row or column a certain digit will be) ? in the example it does not seems so.

The positions of the dwarfs around the snow white sudoku grid are crucial for solving this puzzle. It is explained on the front page of the part 3 IB and PB, but maybe not clear enough, so I'll try to explain it a little better.
What you first have to do is find out which number each dwarf stands for. Those are numbers 1-7. Then, when you look at the final puzzle, you'll see seven circles in the grid. This is where you have to place the dwarfs - 7 different numbers in 7 circles.
But to place them correctly you must look at the dwarfs around the grid. There are exactly two dwarfs next to some rows and columns, representing two numbers. One of those two dwarfs/numbers has to be placed in one of the circles in the corresponding row/column. The other one cannot be placed in any of the circles in the corresponding row/column.
I hope this makes a bit more clear.
:)
Goran Vodopija

Postby joshuazucker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:03 am

Thanks for posting the booklet! I was having a fairly dismal day and this gives me something pleasant to think about.

One slight flaw I've noticed so far: It appears that Winnie-The-Pooh has taken Alice's directions.
joshuazucker

Postby Zrile13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 am

joshuazucker wrote:Thanks for posting the booklet! I was having a fairly dismal day and this gives me something pleasant to think about.

One slight flaw I've noticed so far: It appears that Winnie-The-Pooh has taken Alice's directions.

Thank you, it will be corrected. :)

Zrinka
Zrile13

Postby janoslaw » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 am

Hi,
You wrote, that in Little Killer digits can be repeated in both diagonals. But according to me it would be a miracle to solve that puzzle logically. Of course, probably that puzzle has unique solution, because the condition about the sums in quite strong. But it is possible to fill only 3 cells in each corner, and that`s all. Please make certain whether cometition puzzle has unique solution, and the amount of points for that puzzle is appropriate to the time that You predicted to solve one.
Second matter - round 9: the puzzle is a classic sudoku, but according to me the example has got 8 solution (even I checked it on sudoku solver). Right?
Jan Mrozowski
janoslaw

Postby Zrile13 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 am

janoslaw wrote:Hi,
You wrote, that in Little Killer digits can be repeated in both diagonals. But according to me it would be a miracle to solve that puzzle logically. Of course, probably that puzzle has unique solution, because the condition about the sums in quite strong. But it is possible to fill only 3 cells in each corner, and that`s all. Please make certain whether cometition puzzle has unique solution, and the amount of points for that puzzle is appropriate to the time that You predicted to solve one.
Second matter - round 9: the puzzle is a classic sudoku, but according to me the example has got 8 solution (even I checked it on sudoku solver). Right?
Jan Mrozowski

Hi Jan,

The instructions are correct, digits can be repeated in diagonals. The competition puzzle has unique solution and points for all puzzles are awarded according to the predicted solving time. Of course it is all a subjective opinion of individuals who checked the puzzles, but we tried to do our best.
In puzzle examples it is possible we missed some things and that puzzles have multiple solutions, but it is not the case with competition puzzles cause we checked and double checked them.

Zrinka
Zrile13

Postby Ours brun » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 am

Zrile13 wrote:
janoslaw wrote:Hi,
Jan Mrozowski

Hi Jan,

The instructions are correct, digits can be repeated in diagonals. The competition puzzle has unique solution and points for all puzzles are awarded according to the predicted solving time. Of course it is all a subjective opinion of individuals who checked the puzzles, but we tried to do our best.
In puzzle examples it is possible we missed some things and that puzzles have multiple solutions, but it is not the case with competition puzzles cause we checked and double checked them.

Zrinka

The problem here is that some puzzles used to illustrate the rules do not match with them (that is why I felt necessary in my last message to make things clear about some of them) - the Little Killer example puzzle was obviously designed to be solved using the rule of non-repetition in the main diagonals. I haven't tried it yet, but I guess it is indeed considerably harder without using it. So, my advice would be : look closely at the rules, not at the examples.

Bastien
Ours brun

PreviousNext

Return to Public section