WSC 2012. instruction booklet

Re: WSC 2012. instruction booklet

Postby Zrile13 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:15 pm

The problem here is that some puzzles used to illustrate the rules do not match with them (that is why I felt necessary in my last message to make things clear about some of them) - the Little Killer example puzzle was obviously designed to be solved using the rule of non-repetition in the main diagonals. I haven't tried it yet, but I guess it is indeed considerably harder without using it. So, my advice would be : look closely at the rules, not at the examples.

Bastien[/quote]

I am afraid Bastien is right, that example is solvable only if diagonals are different. So sorry, but I promise in competition puzzle numbers can repeat in main diagonals, and it is solvable logically.

Thank you Bastien

Zrinka
Zrile13

Postby yuhei » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I have some questions about part 1 and 7, which has an order bonuses system.

- If a competitor who submitted the fastest has made a mistake, how order bonus points are distributed to other competitors? Will the 2nd fastest competitor get 25 points and the 11th get 2 points?

- If 5-minute extension is executed, will the round end when 10 competitors finish solving?
Suppose the round will continue in the case above, what will happen when 20 competitors finish solving?

Yuhei
yuhei

Postby Zrile13 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

yuhei wrote:I have some questions about part 1 and 7, which has an order bonuses system.

- If a competitor who submitted the fastest has made a mistake, how order bonus points are distributed to other competitors? Will the 2nd fastest competitor get 25 points and the 11th get 2 points?

- If 5-minute extension is executed, will the round end when 10 competitors finish solving?
Suppose the round will continue in the case above, what will happen when 20 competitors finish solving?

Yuhei

Hi Yuhei,

The order bonuses are awarded to the 10 fastest solvers whose all puzzles are correctly solved. So, yes, if the fastest one made a mistake than 25 point bonus goes to the second fastest if his solutions are correct.

The round ends:
-if the official time is up and 10-19 competitors have solved the set
- immediately when 20th competitor has solved the set (no matter how much time is still left)
- after one 5 min extension (even if no one has solved the set)

If round is extended for 5 min, and 20th competitor has finished solving, the round is immediately over, same as if there was no extension.

hope it is clearer now

Zrinka
Zrile13

Postby yuhei » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Zrile13 wrote:
yuhei wrote:I have some questions about part 1 and 7, which has an order bonuses system.

Yuhei

Hi Yuhei,

The order bonuses are awarded to the 10 fastest solvers whose all puzzles are correctly solved. So, yes, if the fastest one made a mistake than 25 point bonus goes to the second fastest if his solutions are correct.

The round ends:
-if the official time is up and 10-19 competitors have solved the set
- immediately when 20th competitor has solved the set (no matter how much time is still left)
- after one 5 min extension (even if no one has solved the set)

If round is extended for 5 min, and 20th competitor has finished solving, the round is immediately over, same as if there was no extension.

hope it is clearer now

Zrinka

Thank you Zrinka, I got it.

May I ask you the following additional questions?

- Part 8
From the sentence "When you determine which 4 puzzles are placed in the four corners of the diamond", I assume that there is no indication of (light/deep) gray-colored 3x3 box and we should find out which 3x3 boxes are used for the interconnection. Am I right?

- Play off
Are the ranking between 5th and 8th determined according to the place after preliminary rounds, among who have defeated in quarterfinal round?

Yuhei
yuhei

Postby Goran Vodopija » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 pm

- Part 8
From the sentence "When you determine which 4 puzzles are placed in the four corners of the diamond", I assume that there is no indication of (light/deep) gray-colored 3x3 box and we should find out which 3x3 boxes are used for the interconnection. Am I right?

Yes, you're right, all boxes in the 12 puzzles are white and you need to arrange them in the given shape.
The boxes in the 13th puzzle are also white and you need to find out where to put 3 out of 4 central boxes from the corner puzzles.

- Play off
Are the ranking between 5th and 8th determined according to the place after preliminary rounds, among who have defeated in quarterfinal round?

The matches will be played according to the scheme, no matter who wins in the quarterfinal round. And also, competitors keep their ranking to the end of the playoffs and cannot take away another players better ranking.
Eg. if the competitor ranked 8th wins in his quarterfinal round, he's still ranked lower than his semifinal opponent, therefore chooses only one puzzle.
Goran Vodopija

Postby yuhei » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Goran Vodopija wrote:
- Part 8

Yes, you're right, all boxes in the 12 puzzles are white and you need to arrange them in the given shape.
The boxes in the 13th puzzle are also white and you need to find out where to put 3 out of 4 central boxes from the corner puzzles.

- Play off

The matches will be played according to the scheme, no matter who wins in the quarterfinal round. And also, competitors keep their ranking to the end of the playoffs and cannot take away another players better ranking.
Eg. if the competitor ranked 8th wins in his quarterfinal round, he's still ranked lower than his semifinal opponent, therefore chooses only one puzzle.

Hi Goran, thanks for the reply.

In the second question, I wanted to know how to determine the "final" ranking.
It is clear that the 1st/2nd(3rd/4th) place is a winner/loser in the gold(bronze) medal match, but there is no description about 5th/6th/7th/8th place.

Yuhei
yuhei

Postby Goran Vodopija » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Ok, now I get the question. :)
The order will be as it was before the playoffs.
Goran Vodopija

Postby yuhei » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Goran Vodopija wrote:Ok, now I get the question. :)
The order will be as it was before the playoffs.

OK, thank you very much & see you soon!

Yuhei
yuhei

Postby righthand » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:08 pm

the last sentence of the rules for part2: Each smurf represents a different 2-digit number.
Does it mean in different groups of puzzles in this part the smurfs have to be different?
righthand

Postby Zrile13 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:37 pm

righthand wrote:the last sentence of the rules for part2: Each smurf represents a different 2-digit number.
Does it mean in different groups of puzzles in this part the smurfs have to be different?

There are 10 different smurfs, and 30 puzzles. Each smurf can be found in exactly three puzzles and in them it represents the same 2-digit number. All 10 smurfs must be different from each other.

Zrinka
Zrile13

PreviousNext

Return to Public section