WSC - Play-Offs

WSC - Play-Offs

Postby zuzka » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Questions related to the Play-Offs.
Zuzana Hromcová, WSC Tournament Director
zuzka
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:55 am

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby JanZverina » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi,
1) are there staggered starts in the team play-off?
2) as for the samurai in the team play-off - the booklet says the same process applies as for the individual play-offs. The rules are clear, I am just bit concerned that the judge will have only one minute to check 5 grids.
JanZverina
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby zuzka » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:54 pm

JanZverina wrote:Hi,
1) are there staggered starts in the team play-off?


Yes, thank you for pointing this out. The staggered starts will work the same as in the individual rounds - the first team will have 40 minutes for solving, the last team 35 minutes, the other two times will be counted proportionally according to the points in the Preliminary Rounds.
This will be included in the updated version of Sudoku IB.

JanZverina wrote:Hi,
2) as for the samurai in the team play-off - the booklet says the same process applies as for the individual play-offs. The rules are clear, I am just bit concerned that the judge will have only one minute to check 5 grids.


In the Team Play-off, the following scenario will be applied: At the beginning, 16 competitors will be solving separately. Each of them will be supervised by one judge. After all the competitors from the team have moved to the team table, there will be 4 judges for each team. Thus, I believe 5 grids can be checked conveniently by 4 people within 1 minute.
Zuzana Hromcová, WSC Tournament Director
zuzka
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:55 am

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby yuhei » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi :)
Regarding the first criteria "number of correctly solved puzzles in the Team Play-off", I would like to know whether the team Sudoku Samurai is considered as 5 puzzles (each corner grid represents 1 puzzle), or just 1 puzzle as a whole.
For example, imagine a team which solved 6 individual puzzles and 1 grid out of 5 in the team puzzle; is the number of correctly solved puzzles counted as 7 (6+1), or 6?

Thanks,
Yuhei
yuhei
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby zuzka » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:07 pm

yuhei wrote:Hi :)
Regarding the first criteria "number of correctly solved puzzles in the Team Play-off", I would like to know whether the team Sudoku Samurai is considered as 5 puzzles (each corner grid represents 1 puzzle), or just 1 puzzle as a whole.
For example, imagine a team which solved 6 individual puzzles and 1 grid out of 5 in the team puzzle; is the number of correctly solved puzzles counted as 7 (6+1), or 6?

Thanks,
Yuhei


Each of the samurai puzzles is considered one puzzle, i.e. there are 4*2 + 5 = 13 puzzles in the Team Play-Off. In your example, the number of correctly solved puzzles for that team would be 7 - given that the solution of the one samurai grid will correspond to the unique solution of the whole samurai.
Zuzana Hromcová, WSC Tournament Director
zuzka
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:55 am

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby yuhei » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi again,

I'm sorry for bothering you so many times; here are additional questions which came up with from our team members.
1) Search 9 Sudoku: if there is an arrow pointing a diagonal direction, the number placed in this cell indicates the position of “first seen” 9, or it is possible that other 9 can appear closer than the position which the number indicates?
2) Team play-off: I would like to know the form of the one of the four corner 3x3 areas which Irregular Sudoku and middle Classic Sudoku shares; in Irregular sudoku, is it an outlined square (recognized as an one region) or not?
3) I do hope that the following situation won’t happen, but if a competitor were to believe that there would be a problem with a puzzle in play-off rounds, what should she/he do?
(e.g. write “Wrong puzzle” next to the puzzle and submit it to the checker, tell that to the checker, etc)

Thanks a lot,
Yuhei
yuhei
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby zuzka » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:28 pm

yuhei wrote:Hi again,
I'm sorry for bothering you so many times; here are additional questions which came up with from our team members.


Yuhei - no worries, it is always better to have things clarified. Thank you for your careful check :)

yuhei wrote:1) Search 9 Sudoku: if there is an arrow pointing a diagonal direction, the number placed in this cell indicates the position of “first seen” 9, or it is possible that other 9 can appear closer than the position which the number indicates?


There are no arrows pointing a diagonal direction in the actual Play-Off puzzle.

yuhei wrote:2) Team play-off: I would like to know the form of the one of the four corner 3x3 areas which Irregular Sudoku and middle Classic Sudoku shares; in Irregular sudoku, is it an outlined square (recognized as an one region) or not?


Not necessarily.

yuhei wrote:3) I do hope that the following situation won’t happen, but if a competitor were to believe that there would be a problem with a puzzle in play-off rounds, what should she/he do?
(e.g. write “Wrong puzzle” next to the puzzle and submit it to the checker, tell that to the checker, etc)


I also hope such situation won't happen. But if so, please tell that to your checker. We will investigate it immediately. If an error will be confirmed, then the corresponding round will be canceled and repeated with a new set of puzzles - unused puzzles from the Individual Play-offs. This applies to Individual Play-Offs, U18, O50 Play-Offs and Team Play-Offs - individual parts. In case of an error in the Team Samurai puzzle, the whole Team Play-Off will be canceled and repeated (with Samurai replaced, the same rules kept).
For a corresponding situation in Preliminary Rounds, please study the WPF Guide Book carefully.
Zuzana Hromcová, WSC Tournament Director
zuzka
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:55 am

Re: WSC - Play-Offs

Postby Miskaaa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 pm

*** U18 PLAY-OFF ANNOUNCEMENT ***

In Target Sum Sudoku, the Instruction Booklet tells the cells that are a part of the sum will be shaded. We made a little adjustment in this design and the cells in the actual puzzle will be marked by a grey line. So the correct instructions should be:

Fill in the whole grid with numbers from 1 to 9 so that no digit is repeated within a row, a column or an outlined 3x3 square. The sum of all numbers placed in the cells that contain at least one part of a grey line within an outlined 3x3 square must be equal for every square. It is a part of the solution to reveal the sum.

In the attachment provided you can see the change in design.

Thank you for your understanding.
Attachments
U_18_target_sum.png
Target Sum example
U_18_target_sum.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
Miskaaa
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 am


Return to WSC/WPC 2016

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron