WPC - Round 7

Re: WPC - Round 7

Postby AndreyBogdanov » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Matus wrote:Yes, changing "0" into "111" is allowed (but note that this requires moving four matches).
I meant changing "0" to "111" by moving just two matches - we can take two horizontal matches from "0" and create one more "1" from it. In this case spaces between digits are changed. That why I asked.
AndreyBogdanov

Postby Matus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:25 am

yuhei wrote:6. MATCHING PAIRS
My teammates would like to know the definition of "vertices" in this puzzle.
(For example, is it allowed that more than two vertices are placed on single line?)

In the example, the vertices are the four points that lie on the circumscribed circle. The actual puzzle will be similar enough.
In particular, the "complete picture" should be obvious.

Two objects are complements of each other if they can be placed on top of each other so that 1. together they form the complete picture, and 2. they don't share any line segments. (I.e., they only overlap in finitely many points.)
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:25 am

AndreyBogdanov wrote:
Matus wrote:Yes, changing "0" into "111" is allowed (but note that this requires moving four matches).
I meant changing "0" to "111" by moving just two matches - we can take two horizontal matches from "0" and create one more "1" from it. In this case spaces between digits are changed. That why I asked.

The digit zero will not appear in the actual puzzle statement. Thus, the solution will not contain the situation you describe.
(This information will be added to the booklet.)
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Postby anderson » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:54 pm

I am still kind of confused by the moving matches rules, so I have a few questions:
-Will the given puzzle only consist of digits, or could it have matchsticks in arbitrary positions? If the matchsticks can start in arbitrary positions, what are the rules on the allowable spacing between digits?
-Do all of the digits use up the exact same space (e.g. will there be a space to the left of any 1 so you can turn it into a 7)?
-Is this statement correct: if you are given a 1, then you are allowed to remove it if and only if it is the first or last digit in the puzzle.

Given the low point value, I assume that there's nothing too tricky going on, but I guess it can't hurt to make sure.
anderson

Postby onigame » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:29 pm

Matus wrote:
rob wrote:Matching Pairs
Is it allowed that the pairs overlap, i.e., that one shape is used for more than one pair?

Yes, it is possible. Tasks 4, 5, and 6 are three independent tasks that just share the same collection of objects.

I can see the last two tasks (mirror and complement) being independent from each other, but (identity) cannot be independent from the other two without making the answer not unique.
onigame

Previous

Return to WSC/WPC 2016