WPC - Round 10

WPC - Round 10

Postby Matus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Questions related to the Round 10.
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Re: WPC - Round 10

Postby rob » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Masyu (Myopia) I have a guess what "narrow loop segment" means based on the example, but it's hard to be sure. "the closest cell with a straight loop segment that's orthogonal to the arrow"? And I suppose like usual Masyu empty cells don't need to be visited?
rob

Postby Matus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:23 pm

rob wrote:Masyu (Myopia) I have a guess what "narrow loop segment" means based on the example, but it's hard to be sure. "the closest cell with a straight loop segment that's orthogonal to the arrow"? And I suppose like usual Masyu empty cells don't need to be visited?

I believe it is hard to imagine. But in other words - you should place white or black circle in every possible cell occupied by look. The nearest circles will be pointed by arrow.

Yes, empty cells are also allowed, as usual.
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Postby rob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:27 am

Matus wrote:
rob wrote:Masyu (Myopia) I have a guess what "narrow loop segment" means based on the example, but it's hard to be sure. "the closest cell with a straight loop segment that's orthogonal to the arrow"? And I suppose like usual Masyu empty cells don't need to be visited?

I believe it is hard to imagine. But in other words - you should place white or black circle in every possible cell occupied by look. The nearest circles will be pointed by arrow.

Sorry, I don't get it. This seems like a valid puzzle definition (I assume you meant "loop"), but I fail to reconcile this one with the one in the booklet, particularly I still have no idea what you mean by a "narrow loop segment". I'll try to formulate rules based on this one, can you confirm that's correct?

Draw a single loop that travels horizontally and vertically between cell centres and that passes through each circle, but not through cells with arrows. It goes straight through white circles, but turns in the previous or the following cell (or both). It turns in black circles, but goes straight through both the previous and the following cell.

Now place black and white circles on the loop wherever they would be valid according to the rules for given circles. Then the arrows are valid Myopia clues for circles: Every arrow points at some circle (given or just added), all arrows in a cell have the same distance to the next circle they point to, and for any directions without an arrow, the closest circle (if any) is further away.
rob

Postby Matus » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:57 am

rob wrote: I'll try to formulate rules based on this one, can you confirm that's correct?

Draw a single loop that travels horizontally and vertically between cell centres and that passes through each circle, but not through cells with arrows. It goes straight through white circles, but turns in the previous or the following cell (or both). It turns in black circles, but goes straight through both the previous and the following cell.

Now place black and white circles on the loop wherever they would be valid according to the rules for given circles. Then the arrows are valid Myopia clues for circles: Every arrow points at some circle (given or just added), all arrows in a cell have the same distance to the next circle they point to, and for any directions without an arrow, the closest circle (if any) is further away.

Yes, Rob, your definition is correct and simple enough. Thank you for that. I think we may use it in the updated version of the IB.
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Postby rob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Matus wrote:
rob wrote: I'll try to formulate rules based on this one, can you confirm that's correct?
Yes, Rob, your definition is correct and simple enough. Thank you for that. I think we may use it in the updated version of the IB.

Thanks! Yes, feel free to use this.
rob

Postby PuzzleScot » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:19 am

Matus,
I can see confusion arising here, depending on the puzzle's actual design.
A cell that has a line going straight through it isn't necessarily a candidate for a white circle, so please check with the actual puzzle whether this new version of the rules is still true to the design.
Alan O'Donnell, Chairman, UK Puzzle Association
http://www.ukpuzzles.org/
PuzzleScot

Postby Matus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:34 am

Please, have a look at this image. I hope it clarify all the possible questions about Masyu Myopia

Left image - actual puzzle
Middle image - its only correct solution
Right image - intended solution with all the circles, both given and imaginary
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Postby metsy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi Matus,

@ Masyu:
Since picture 2 is a correct solution the phrase "Then place black and white circles on the loop..." could be understood as a 'must'.

I'd suggest to add a sentence like in Puzzle 5, Part 11: "It is not needed to draw the circles in order to be awarded the points for the puzzle."

What do you think?
metsy

Postby Matus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:07 pm

metsy wrote:Hi Matus,

@ Masyu:
Since picture 2 is a correct solution the phrase "Then place black and white circles on the loop..." could be understood as a 'must'.

I'd suggest to add a sentence like in Puzzle 5, Part 11: "It is not needed to draw the circles in order to be awarded the points for the puzzle."

What do you think?

Thank you, I did so :)
Matúš Demiger
Matus

Next

Return to WSC/WPC 2016