WSC - Team Play-off

For updates and discussion about the 2018 event.
Forum rules
Please restrict all posts to topics relevant to the WSC/WPC 2018

WSC - Team Play-off

Postby JanZverina » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:41 am

Questions related to WSC Team Play-off.
JanZverina

Re: WSC - Team Play-off

Postby Serene » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:43 pm

1. Our team is wondering about how we solve this round.
Can we write on the transparent foils? Or do we have to write on the paper? (We feel like it's hard when we can only write on the paper and have to look at the foils and paper alternatively)

2. Are there significant differences among the difficulties of the four sets?
Serene

Re: WSC - Team Play-off

Postby KrtekHonza » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:52 am

Serene wrote:1. Our team is wondering about how we solve this round.
Can we write on the transparent foils? Or do we have to write on the paper? (We feel like it's hard when we can only write on the paper and have to look at the foils and paper alternatively)

2. Are there significant differences among the difficulties of the four sets?

Good questions, I understand why are they important for you and your team. I am really looking forward to the performace of CHN-A and other great top teams in the entire WSC.
I hope that you can see why it is less relevant for >200 players who know that they are not going to compete in team playoffs.
That's why I am not going to extend the explanation in IB. But I am ready to give all possible details here and let's discuss it once more at the end of Q&A session when all the answers will be final.

1) Foils etc.
For individual part, you will be given: A4 paper with two overlapping grid with given numbers; A4 paper with text of instructions; 3 transparent foils with puzzle name and decorations; 3 grids on paper with the same. You are free to use any of those to solve the puzzle. It may be wise to redraw quickly the decorations in some puzzles, it may be useful to write on the foils sometimes. It is up to you how you will work with the given material.
There is one important remark - the referees will check only the two overlapping grids.

2) The four sets
We all know that a difficulty of sudoku variations is an individual thing. If player P likes variation V, he will be faster on that than average. In this case, it is tricky, because there are 3 variations in a set and only 2 of them are really solved individually. So I recommend to split the work strategically but not to overthink it.
There is difference in difficulty of the sets, I will not say significant. Taking into account the above mentioned "subjectivity issue", let's assign virtual points to the sets in the following way:
Arrows, Consecutive, Palindromes = 200 points, Clockfaces, Extraregions, Sequences = 180 points, Elimination, Fortress, Greater than = 160 points, Multidiagonal, Renban, Thermometers = 160 points
KrtekHonza

Return to WSC/WPC 2018