Sudoku in WPC

What proportion and kind of sudoku should appear in WPC?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Only puzzle types that are not allowed in WSC should appear in WPC
No votes
Only classic sudoku should appear in WPC, no variant
No votes
Only sudoku variants should appear in WPC, no classic sudoku
No votes
Both classic sudoku and sudoku variants should appear in WPC
50%
Proportion: less than 5% of WPC puzzles sould be sudoku
No votes
Proportion: between 5% and 10% of WPC puzzles sould be sudoku
50%
Proportion: more than 10% of WPC puzzles should be sudoku
No votes

Total votes : 4

Sudoku in WPC

Postby Fred76 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 pm

How sudoku should be treated in WPC?

This question is asked by Nikola Zivanovic since lot of years and WPF doesn't seem to want to organize discussions and polls to know opinions of puzzle community on this subject and see if something needs to be changed from the actual situation.
You can chose 2 options (ideally one option concerning type and one option concerning proportion if you think sudoku should appear in WPC).
Comments are welcome.
You've 30 days to answer the poll, after the 30 days, I don't know if WPF will do something with these polls and discussions, sorry.

Fred
not WPF director substitute
Fred76

Re: Sudoku in WPC

Postby Fred76 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:23 am

And just to be clear, because you may be surprised I'm the one who opened this thread.

I'm not concerned by this question at all and will not take part in discussions.
But for years I see comments on this subject and it is never a discussed theme during board meeting or GA.
If there is some participants in the poll and some discussions and I see WPF board doesn't want to do something with it, I'll send it to WPC host.

Fred
Fred76

Postby MarkusRoth » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:31 pm

I think, as Sudoku is a Logic Puzzle, this is reason enough to use it in WPC and Puzzle GP as well. The Sudoku-Report may be a perfect guide to define rules for Sudoku competitions, but I doubt a lot, if it fits for puzzling.

I refer to Berni Seckinger, who I respect a lot, and his posts about classicifation of puzzes types similar to Biology. If we need rules about percentages of puzzles, it should then rather be on a higher level (genus), than on a special puzzle type (species). If it's needed at all, I would prefer to set an amount of latin square based puzzles than an amount of Sudoku itself.

Sure, Classic Sudoku is the most popular Logic puzzle and this is honoured with special Sudoku (including variants) competitions. But with the optic, that Sudoku is a Latin Square puzzle with an additional constraint, Sudoku itself does not deserve any special mention in rules about Puzzle contests and not too extensive discussions about it. Or many other do as well.

Markus
MarkusRoth

Postby Fred76 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:26 am

Poll ended.

There were too few answers to get a conclusion. Perhaps address the subject with percentages was not the best way to face the question.
Thanks to Markus for his interesting link about classification of puzzles types. Perhaps it'll help for further WPC discussions.

Fred
Fred76

Return to Public section